DIY farmhouse console &a peek into our family room.

Monday, June 23, 2014
Lately I've been making some huge dents into our never ending list of projects for our house.
Such a huge dent that I haven't even taken time to blog about the finished projects. 
I don't really know where to start because SO much has changed. 
Today I thought I would share the console that my husband recently built for me, and show you a little peek into what our family room is looking like today. 

The biggest change we've made is paint our walls Edgecomb Grey by Benjamin Moore. It is the softest shade of grey and works really well with warm woods as well as cool colors. I can't even tell you how much painting all the common areas has changed the entire feel of our home. 




Our family room is rather shallow and shares a great space with the kitchen and eat in breakfast nook. This is the spot where we spend all our time as a family. 
I had a dresser as a media console for a long time, but wanted something that would fit the space better. We decided to DIY this project after gaining inspiration from the wonderful Liz Marie. Her husband so kindly provided the building plans on his blog here
We altered the length and height of the console to fit our space a little better. But that's the beauty of DIY, you can make anything you want however you want, right? 


We chose dark walnut by Minwax to finish the console in. My husband is still in shock that I didn't paint it white. Smh. 



I love this corner with a comfy reupholstered vintage chair, wall art that I made with some favorite lyrics, and my childhood toy box that I gave a little makeover to (the decoupaged rose wrapping paper just HAD to go... sorry mom!)


We are so thrilled with how it turned out!

9 comments:

Mel said...

Looks fantastic. I made one this weekend too using the plans you mentioned. I still haven't made the X's yet, haven't figured that part out :)

Seeking Lavender Lane said...

Your TV Console turned out fabulous! I love how well it fits in with your room. I also really love the Nest sign and the lyrics sign. Can not wait to see the entire room reveal.

Deb @ Seeking Lavender Lane

https://frecklesandfairytales.wordpress.com/ said...

I love this room! Very functional and looks great!

Whitney said...

I love the console, as well as the Love like crazy lyric picture! Can you do a tutorial or explanation of how you made your lyric wall art?

Unknown said...

This turned out so awesome. Love everything about this room too.

Burlap and Babies said...

Gorgeous room! Love all the little details and the wall art is awesome! I am featuring you at our Motivational Monday party tomorrow. Thanks for linking up!

Christine at Little Brags said...

I want it all, so full of character and details...LUV
Christine from Little Brags

Anonymous said...

Where can I find the nest letters?

crystal said...

Just wondering if you could break down what was used for the NEST sign and where you found the material. I love it! Great job