The little things we do

Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Today I went to Subway for lunch and ordered what I always order.
Cold cut trio, lots of veggies, topped with oil, vinegar, and oregano.
It's like second nature to get that sandwhich.
Then I read what exactly a "cold cut trio" is and I was a little repulsed.
I thought to myself "why on earth do I eat THAT sandwhich, ew."
But then it dawned on me, that's what my dad always ordered us kids from subway.
It's true, whenever we would stop on a road trip (that's the only time we ate at Subway as a family)
The kids would go sit down and dad would order sandwhiches for us all.
We never really chose, it was just, "this is what I got you, now eat kiddos."
You think that since I am now a grown up I would have explored other sandwhich options at Subway by now.
I still order the same thing, with oil, vinegar, and oregano... just like dad always did.

It got me thinking how many things do each of us do each day just out of habit
What things do you think you like but just like because you don't know any different?
I know there are so many things in my life that I do a certain way, or think is the best thing ever... but on second thought they're just things that were instilled in me by my parents.
Day to day, lifelong traditions, just the little things that they passed along to their children.
Funny thing to think huh?

I wonder what my little Gracie will continue to do through her life just because that's the way I do things.
Hopefully she only picks up on the good things, and not the bad tendencies.
That's every parent's hope right?

0 comments: