tutorial: shabby chic ruffle lamp shade

Sunday, December 11, 2011
As I was making my ruffle tree skirt this weekend I started thinking about all the ruffle possibilities around my house.
I do love a good ruffle.

I love this project so much and it was simple & relatively quick too.

Supplies:
-Lampshade
-About 1 yard of lightweight fabric. I chose a muslin.
-Scissors
-Hot glue
-Ruler [optional]

Cut your fabric into 1 1/2" strips. I never measure but that is about the width I went with.

Start applying your fabric to the shade about 3/4" from the bottom lip. This gives you a nice overhang on the bottom of the shade.
Work in about 2 or 3 inch sections of hot glue. 

As you lay the fabric down on the glue pinch with your fingers to create ruffles.
Overlap each layer of fabric about 1/4" from the last one.

I alternated 1 strip white with 2 strips of cream. I love the little extra detail.
I thought that this shade wouldn't go well with the more modern base but I really like the juxtaposition.

Here is what it looks like off. Love.
I am not sure where I am going to put it yet because I pretty much think it would go perfect in about every room in my house.
I  might just keep it for myself in my office.



3 comments:

Kristal said...

This is so adorable! My co-worker just made a ruffle tree skirt and she said it was tough! This looks super simple and oh so cute! I think I need to try! Can't wait to check out more of your blog!

http://sincerelyarizona.blogspot.com/

Tips from the Heart said...

Adorabale! I love the softness that the ruffles create. Stopping by from the Weekend Wrap up link party.
-Robyn from http://tipsfromtheheart.blogspot.com

Melissa @ Loving this {crazy} life! said...

I found you through tatertots and jello and have been looking through your blog...I LOVE IT! Your lamp came out lovely!

I'm your newest follower!